Thursday, August 7, 2014

8/6/14 Crossing our Wake-Grand Traverse Bay, MI


We are Gold Loopers now

Changing our Flag to "Gold"
August 25, 2011 we started our 3 year trip on America’s Great Loop in Traverse Bay, Michigan.  Today, we crossed our wake after traveling over 8000 miles.  It has been a wonderful experience.  Each area of the loop presents its own beauty and its own challenges, but the people we’ve met along the way have been the highlight of our trip.  Because we’ve stretched the trip over a three year time period, we’ve been able to include many side trips and longer stays in special places. 

August 2011/ October 2012 : Traverse Bay down the river system to Chattanooga,  the gulf crossing from Carabelle to Clearwater, Flamingo, Key West, a week in Charleston during  Spoletto and Piccolo, Portsmouth for the tall ships, Yorktown and Williamsburg, a week  in D.C., Annapolis, Long Island Sound to Nantucket, and then back to NJ where we left the boat just in time for Super Storm Sandy.

May, 2013-September 2013: Kingston, NY where we waited (and partied with other loopers for two weeks) for the Erie to open and finally gave up, Lake Champlain to Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, the Rideau Canal, Thousand Islands and back to Brewerton, NY.

May 2014 –August 2014:  Brewerton, NY to Ottawa and back to Kingston, ON via the Rideau Canal,  Canada Day in Trenton, the Trent-Severn, Georgian Bay, North Channel, and back to Traverse Bay.

Our trip this year will end in Peoria, IL where the boat will be stored in October and we will return to our home in Florida.  We’ll be back to the Great Lakes next year.

To our travel mates:  we loved our time together and we miss you.  To the acquaintances we met along the way, thank you for your friendship.  To Ron and Eva Stob, for inspiring us through their book.  To Tom Conrad:  for weather forecasts that allowed us to have a beautiful overnight Gulf crossing.  And thanks to God, for providing us with a safe journey.  We are grateful!


"The River"

You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores...and

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
Has now become today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance the tide...yes

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all...yes

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Yes, I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
'Til the river runs dry

1 comment: