Thursday, July 31, 2014

7/30/14 Gore Bay to Meldrum Bay

Other than seeing occasional boats, the four hour trip was uneventful.  Meldrum Bay consists of a few buildings, boat slips, and 40 permanent residents.  The marina is a not for profit owned by the residents.  Several nice features:  2 washers ($1.50 per wash)  2 dryers ($1.00) a book exchange, showers and upstairs a recreation room with a TV and DVDs.  A small store next door has a few groceries and local at work for sale. 
Marina office

Meldrum Bay Inn

 

Adagio and Charis
 

Doll house in garden

view of our boats

Meldrum Bay Inn was the perfect place for our last night in Canada.  Starting at 6pm, a folk singer played and sang.  Our dinners were very good, but for me, the highlight of the night was the music.  A couple from the sailboat behind us on the dock joined in a jam session.  He played guitar and mandolin and she played cello. 


They were from Bloomington, IN and had degrees in music.  The folk headliner had attended graduate school at the University of Illinois.  The cellist let me try her instrument.  I made a few screeching noises on it. They invited me to join in with my dulcimer, but I declined.  They were way above my ability level.  But afterward, I felt compelled to go back to the boat and play my dulcimer.  o
 



hired help
 

 


 

Tomorrow we go to Drummond Island customs and check in and then go on to Detour State Harbor, Michigan.  In a few days, we will "cross our wake" and finish the loop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment